Idiomas | Languages
Convent and Church of St. Anthony, Cairu
The Convent and the Church were built on the initiative of the Franciscan priests and financed by donations of the population. The foundation stone was laid in 1654. The two-storied Church and Convent is arranged around the cloister and the Third Order which never completed. The church, preceded by galilee, has a single nave and main chapel, both with tribunes and cross sacristy. Its structure is in mixed masonry of stone and brick, cloister with arch in "wing of basket", in the ground floor and monolithic sandstone pillars, in the first floor. The galilee is preceded by a churchyard with a cruise, a mark of the Franciscans. The triangular frontispiece, in baroque style, divided into three planes with pilasters and scrolls in stonework, with a tower with pyramidal ending, covered with polychrome tiles. The convent still keeps many implements and images. The sacristy and the cloister still retain the tapestries and figurative type tiles from the 16th century. XVII and XVIII.
The registration includes all of its collection, according to the Resolution of the Advisory Council of SPHAN, of 08/13/85, regarding the Administrative Process nº 13/85 / SPHAN.
Mother Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
The church is situated on an elevation, standing out and looking at the Convent of Cairu. From the top there is a beautiful view of the city and the region, including the sea that separates the island from the mainland. In the vicinity of the monument, on the right side, there are single-storey houses, allied to the street, forming a pleasant set and, on the left side, a grassy slope. Access to the city is done by sea or by land, from Nilo Peçanha. The road is a bit precarious. The monument is comprised within the historical center of the city, inventoried under the number 32201-0.3-I001.
Fortress of Morro de São Paulo
The set of relevant architectural interest, known as the fortress of Morro de São Paulo, lies about 30 miles south of the capital, at the northern end of Tinharé Island.
The system is constituted of 678m of its curtain of walls, comprising the following elements: Portaló, the entrance of the fortified enclosure, following of a building that served as corps of the guard, warehouse of armaments, tulha of flour and rooms of the officers, some meters ahead is the Old Fort, or Bateria da Conceição, followed by the Battery of Santo Antônio and the Fort of Ponta, where it conserves a barracks that, under the command of D. Vasco Fernandes Cesar de Menezes, the Count of Sabugosa, began in 1728 and completion in 1730 with the purpose of enlarging the Old Fort.
Around 1536 with the arrival of the squadron commanded by Francisco Romero was built the entrance portal of the Morro de São Paulo, this one had huge wooden doors that were closed at night. Then the Portal was built, which is now known as Portaló and until then is the main entrance to this locality. The construction of the Portaló took about 100 years to complete.
Morro de São Paulo Lighthouse
The lighthouse of Morro de São Paulo was built in the middle of the 19th century, between the years of 1846 and 1855 according to the design and supervision of Engineer Carson. From the Fabric Factory of Valencia. Its machine came from France for producing a unique light power, at the time characterized the lighthouse as being the best in Brazil, however in 1937, it is reported that this equipment was transferred to Abrolhos being replaced by other inferior machinery.
The most important historical record comes from the notes of D. Pedro II's diary, which describes the Lighthouse during the visit of the Royal family to the Island in 1859.
The lookout in the vicinity of the Lighthouse is part of the defensive set on the Island.
In 1746 the deputy King of Brazil, André de Melo, ordered a fountain to be built in Morro de São Paulo to guarantee the water supply of the soldiers of the fort and the inhabitants of the village and gave it the name of Fonte Grande. The visit of D. Pedro II and Marquesa de Santos made the fame of the Great Fountain 1859.
This source was the largest water supply system in colonial Bahia, a notable example of the constructive technology of the period, through the collection of water and sedimentation, both the volume coming from the water table and that of the existing stream.
For many years the main source of water for the population and until recently people came to take a shower. Today the source is listed by the Historical Patrimony.
Church of Our lady of light, Morro de São Paulo
The first records mark the existence of a chapel of the same name in the beginning of the XVII century, and on a map of 1759, João de Abreu e Carvalho locates it approximately where today the Lighthouse is located.
The church of N. Sra. Da Luz in the square of the same name was completed in 1845 according to the date on the frontispiece, and houses relics of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, such as sacred images and baroque cedar altars.
Built in 1608 by the Saraiva family, Casarão is located right in the center of the village of Morro de São Paulo, its construction model is colonial style and was widely used for storing flour made in the region, soon after the main room went to be used as a school and then underwent several reforms, but always maintaining the style of colonial construction. Today, Casarão serves as a restaurant and inn with an excellent infrastructure to attend the tourists who visit the place.
There are so many stories involving Casarão, but it is interesting to have Emperor Dom Pedro II, the Marquesa de Santos and the high court when he was in Morro de São Paulo followed by a visit to the city of Valença in 1859.
The records of the truth of this fact are in his travel notes in his diary at the Ipiranga Museum in Rio de Janeiro.
Church of the Divine Holy Spirit, Boipeba
The Church of the Divine Holy Spirit is the most important historical monument of the Island of Boipeba, created in 1616, under the condition of Divine Holy Spirit Chapel. It was elevated to Parish by the Fourth Bishop, D. Constantino Barradas, under the name of Holy Spirit of Boipeba. Later the building was enlarged vertically as shown by the interrupted stonework wedges and won three windows style D. Maria I, a rosone where it reads the date "1838" a still existing wooden choir and a consistory on the left sacristy already demolished.
Church of St. Sebastian
The church is located in the town of Cova da Onça, Velha Boipeba district, in front of the sea, with its fishing gamboa and, in the distance, the tip of the Castilians, with its typical mangrove vegetation. The monument is between two buildings, with areas of circulation between them in the background, a shed, very close to the church. In front of you there is a cruise. Access to the village is done by sea, between small motor boats, starting from Valença or Taperoá.
The Church is constituted by nave chancel, independent tower, corridor and sacristy. Water roof on different level, with endings on edge- Severine that covers the central body. Corridor and sacristy were built recently, are covered by half-water roofs in fiber cement. The choir never got done. The façade, framed by wedges and cornice, is crowned by curvilinear pediment, coruchéus at the corners.
The square base tower, is separated from the body of the church, and has pyramidal termination. All spans of the facades are in full arch. The interior is very simple however the nave and the main chapel are tiled and have wooden flat ceilings.
Church of St. Francis Xavier, Galeão
The village of Galeão was located northwest of the island of Tinharé, on the banks of the channel that separates the island from the mainland. The chapel is implanted in the ridge of the hill that gave the name to the village.
The white chapel is seen from several points of the coast, including the entrance of the Morro de São Paulo bar. Access to Galeão is by boat from Valença or Cairu. To get to the church it is necessary to walk down a steep slope. the gazebo of the church has one of the most beautiful views of the municipality, covering the vastness of the mangroves, being possible to see until the cliffs in Gamboa.
Chapel of architectural interest, constituted by nave, chancel, tower and sacristy-corridor. Roofs of two waters covers the nave and the main chapel. The facade is characterized by the robustness of the tower, in contrast to the slenderness of the central cloth. A first cornice, at the level of the body, divides the façade into two parts: the lower, plastered with plaster, and the upper, tiled in White. The second cornice marks the beginning of the trimmed pediment and the pyramidal termination of the Tower. In the frontispiece, in full arch drains. On the left lateral façade, vales in straight rib, with guillotine frames. Simple interior with two neoclassical altars and a pulpit, in white and yellow colors, and vaulted ceilings in the chancel and ships. White tiled bar with 1,50m in nave and chancel.